This one line has always interested me, "for such a time as this." Its spoken by a man named Mordecai to his niece Esther who had recently become the queen of Israel. Her new husband's right hand man was planning on killing her people, the Israelites. This meant that she too would be killed. Her uncle said that she should go before her husband, the king, and plead for their lives. The thing was though, that the king didn't know one, that his wife was an Israelite, and two, that it was the Israelites that his right hand man wanted to kill. If Esther went before her husband she would have to disclose her secret. She would also be risking her life because the king had not summoned her to come before him and anyone who did without a summons could be killed. When Mordecai suggested she go before the king, Esther probably freaked. In reality she was nothing more than a simple Israelite girl, someone who wouldn't normally be queen, but yet, she was. This seemed like a bad suggestion, but then Mordecai said that perhaps she had been brought to the throne "for such a time as this." To help save her people. To make a difference. To bring about change.
How often is this true for us too. I look at my life and I wonder "why is this happening, why does it have to be me, why now?" Life isn't easy, its full of pain, and uncomfortable situations, and things we wish would never happen. Things can get really discouraging. But then I'll be reminded of Esther. She had been taken from the life she knew and made the queen of the country. Add to that a man planning on killing all her people and life wasn't to great for her. But she persevered, she did what was right, she prayed and relied on God to work things out. She didn't quit. She took her uncles words to heart, that yes, maybe the reason she had been made queen was so that she could have the chance to save the lives of her people. God knew what was going to happen. He allowed Esther to be made queen so that she could be in the right place at the right time. But it was up to her to do the right thing when that time came. Its the same for me. Sure, I don't like where I am but maybe I should stop having a pity party and look up. There may be something that God wants me to do, or something He wants me to learn. I need to trust God completely. The trials I'm going through are there so I can grow in my relationship with Him. And like Esther, maybe I'm going through these trials so I can help others. So I need to keep alert and stay close to God.
Proverbs 3: 5-6
Trust in the Lord with all
your heart and lean not
on your own understanging;
in all your ways acknowledge
Him, and He will make
your paths straight.
No comments:
Post a Comment